Friday, September 9, 2016

Librarian in Chennai suburb goes beyond call

Librarian in Chennai suburb goes beyond call

Chennai: People who have been passionate to help the needy have always been successful in their life. Meet K Damodaran, a librarian, who made the difference.
Hailing from Perungalathur, he has worked hard for educating the poor and needy. 'News Today'caught up with him to find out more.

Excerpts of the interview:

Q: What made you to take up a career as a librarian? A: I was born and brought up in a small village in Villupuram district. In those times there were no facilities for education in our village. We will not even get a newspaper to read. Only the tea shops or barber shops will subscribe a news paper and to get access to these news, we need to purchase from the shops which was highly difficult in those times. So, this situation inspired me to move forward to this field. Earlier, I was working as a teacher in a private school after which I became a librarian in the government's library in Krishna road, Old Perungalathur.

Q: How do you go about helping the poor? A: My sole aim is to propagate education to people from all spheres. I have been helping school dropouts continue their education. In addition, I have been helping poor children with all their educational needs like books, uniforms, stationery, etc. With my continuous efforts, I was able to start 57 libraries in various villages in our state. In addition, with my continuous efforts, 'Tambaram Varuvai Kota Aluvalagam' allotted 50 cents for building the locality's revenue divisional library. My only aim is to make the government effectively utilise the tax payers' money in providing education and related activities. It shouldn't go towards unwanted activities.

Q: Your achievements so far. A: Both government as well as library associations have recognised my activities and have awarded me. 'Bharathi Kalai Illakia Mandram' presented the 'Achiever Award' in 2000. I was honoured by Madras Medical College for three years between 2003 and 2005 for my research works. In 2010, Tamilnadu government awarded me with the 'Best Librarian Award'. In 2011, Rajaram Mohan Roy Library Foundation awarded me the 'Best Social Liberarian Award'. In 2014, Vellore Institute of Technology awarded me 'Tamil Annai Award' for my literary works. In addition, Chennai Library Association awarded me the 'Best Social Worker Award'. I have received a total of 19 awards from various organisations including all these.

Q: It is learnt that you had made drastic changes in the government library in Perungalathur after taking up office. Tell us about it. A: I joined the Perungalathur branch library of the Tamilnadu library department, Kancheepuram district in 2006. After taking office, I made drastic changes in the way people utilised the library. After I became the librarian, five computers were brought with the help of donations and a proper internet connection was established. With this, I provided free access from all the children who don't have access to internet to browse stuffs for their studies and other necessities. I created unique sections for the books so as to identify them easily. Finally, when I joined the library, there were only 1,800 readers but now there are around 7,000 utilising it effectively.

Q: As a librarian, tell us about the importance of books. A: Books are regarded as the 'Best Friend'. It helps one get access to what is happening outside. In addition, it helps in rejuvenating the mind, body and soul. Without books, we cannot become knowledgeable. So, I urge people to inculcate the habit of reading. Residents can also make use of our library in Krishna road.

Q: Your future plans? A: I want the government to open more and more libraries throughout the State. I will strive hard to educate more and more children in the days to come. I will also encourage people to contribute books to the library in the days to come.


Regards

Pralhad Jadhav
Senior Manager @ Library
Khaitan & Co


Note | If anybody use these post for forwarding in any social media coverage or covering in the Newsletter please give due credit to those who are taking efforts for the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment