Wednesday, January 27, 2016

CABIN CHRONICLES - A few CEOs tell ET Ascent how their lives changed (or didn't) when they made the big shift from a cubicle to a cabin



CABIN CHRONICLES

A few CEOs tell ET Ascent how their lives changed (or didn't) when they made the big shift from a cubicle to a cabin

For most of us in the corporate world, the transition from a cubicle to a cabin marks a significant milestone in our careers. It symbolises the move from being a follower to a leader; implementing to strategising and, most importantly, it means “you've arrived“. So, it's inevitable that life changes in more ways than one. 

MAKING THE TRANSITION

Susir Kumar, CEO, Serco Global Services moved into a cabin when he became the general manager and company secretary at HDFC, a stage in his professional life where he took on greater responsibilities and tasks at work, most of which required a lot of planning and strategising. “The biggest advantage of having a cabin is that it allows you peace and quiet to think and strategise without distractions ­ which is a blessing when you have a crucial task at hand. I wouldn't say my life at work changed completely, but my cabin did bring in difference by giving me a comfortable space that helped me focus better on my tasks,“ says Kumar.

Bhavin Turakhia, founder and CEO, Directi started his company in his own kitchen. From this `kitchen cabin', he has now moved to a conventional cabin. “I have been used to working in a cabin right from the start (kitchen cabin to begin with). However, my current cabin is very essential for me when in office. It is meticulously designed to help me multitask with increased productivity and houses the latest technology to keep me connected with my teams across offices in different countries.It serves as my base camp where I meet people, have brainstorming sessions with teams, or even pull out of everything to spend time on macro level ideas,“ he says. 

CONFIDENTIALITY MATTERS

When it comes to confidentiality, a part and parcel of roles higher up in the organisation, cabins are a must have. Harshil Mehta, CEO, DHFL quotes from his own experience, “The transition from a cubicle to cabin came to me with added responsibilities, decision making powers, higher expectations and, of course, ambitious goals and targets.  Cabins usually give you the added privacy to carry out your day-to-day work, a space to deal with confidential issues and a window for more focused thinking. As time management becomes crucial with additional responsibilities, a cabin helps you concentrate even better for ensuring sustained growth.“ 

CABINS VS CUBICLES 

R Venkataraman, group MD, IIFL began his stint as a co-promoter at IIFL in a cubicle-cum-cabin. As the office expanded, he moved into a cabin of his own. And by his own admission, he enjoys the design and aesthetics of his current cabin. “For me, doing team meetings in my cabin keeps me better equipped with all the data and resources needed for multiple departments. Having a cabin not just saves precious time in between meetings, but also improves efficiency and keeps me available at my place for any unexpected work which is the norm in our industry.From experience I can say, much of the innovative ideas were conceived in one-on-one or small group level brain-storming sessions in my cabin,“ he says. 

VIP TREATMENT 

At least in the initial days, people tend to see you differently once you move into a cabin. It's as though there is an invisible aura of seniority and privilege around you.And the folks in the cubicles cannot help, but treat you like you're better than them, right? But ultimately, it's better to be respected than be treated `special'. “I think when you move to a cabin, some may perceive this as a hindrance to collaboration or reaching out to a leader, which is why it's very important to have an open door policy and ensure you continue to regularly connect and engage with your col eagues. Even though I have a cabin, I make sure that I regularly meet with my team and participate in as many engagement activities on the floor as possible,“ says Ravikumar Sreedharan, managing director, Unisys India.

Just like a larger house allows you more room to express yourself and leave a mark, a cabin marks a com ng-of-age period in every professional's career. 

Source | Economic Times | 26 January 2016

Regards

Pralhad Jadhav
Senior Librarian
Khaitan & Co

No comments:

Post a Comment